Thursday 19 July 2012

Fibre East and arty comfort blankets!

Fibre East! WOW, what a great place for felters!
This newish exhibition, held in Thurleigh in Bedfordshire is only in it's second year and bills itself as 'A celebration of British wool and fibres' Truly it was!

I have never been to Woolfest in Cumbria or Wonderwool in Wales but this was close to home for me and was a great chance to see and find wool fibre produced by British farmers in the most exciting and colourful products. It was also so good to support small makers who were so committed and enthusiastic about their breeds and products. 

I talked to lots of felt artists, spinners, weavers  and dyers. It is amazing to see what you can do with wool.




The display of balls of fibre above was HUGE! the pile was almost as tall as me! The colour blends are beautiful. there were lots of baskets of fibres and pick and mix selections of gorgeous Wensleydale and other scrummy curly fibres which I find so difficult to source. It was good to choose by feeling and looking at the colours which you cant do if you are buying online.

One of the things I absolutely loved were the recycled wool blankets which had been space dyed. I dye these sometimes but it was so nice to pick and mix colours that someone else had chosen because we all make colours in our own  way and sometimes it is nice to step into someone else's colour scheme.

Having said that I picked a lovely teal/lime green that is one of my favourites. I have bought a new sketch book (addicted! can you tell?) and it is short but very wide. It obviously needs a cover of its own!


The dyed blanket is thick, soft and colourful. A lovely arty comfort blanket! I also bought....
to decorate it all with! Isn't it all delicious? There are curly wool fibres, handspun wool rovings, space dyed cotton threads and some rough handspun and dyed yarn that has a great matte tweedy feel to it.


And here is what I did with it all.....My newest sketch book cover!



 I am so pleased with the textures on this front cover. I am going to do something completely different on the back cover but with the same colours and supplies. Of course I am going back to Fibre East next year!




3 comments:

  1. Oooo Paula this is fantastic, I love what you have created!!! fab fibres :) lainey x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Paula,

    all those yummy colors of wool ! Nothing "old" about this new wool and it's great that local people made it !

    Your journalcover is gorgeous : please girl, I want a workshop with you !!
    I bet you could learn me so much more about all the available product , the embellisher and how to use it together...
    I love all the texture and the colors !
    love from belgium
    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to do a workshop for you Inge. Lets plan to do one when we come to Belgium! x

    ReplyDelete