Wednesday 11 May 2016

Fab Rust!

Today I was supposed to be doing a bit of Spring cleaning but instead I have been playing with rust. 

4 days ago I started some rust printing in the garden and today it is ready. So fast! and always such a lovely surprise.

This is the fabric when I had rinsed and dried it. I used pieces of cotton. Most were recycled. One was a piece of lovely tightly woven shirting and it feels almost silky. 


Another was part of a torn blouse with lace inserts.


This one is a piece of some lovely linen scrim that I got in France.


What always amazes me is that the prints are almost photographic. You can see so clearly the shapes of the rusty square and circle washers.

Want to know how I did it? It is so simple and quick!

I placed half a piece of fabric in the bottom of a tray, covered it with lots of rusty washers and folded it over. Then I added more layers of fabric and more rusty stuff. I poured tea over it and put the whole thing in a plastic bag and left it in the garden for 4 days.

Below is the piece that I folded over at the bottom of the pile. It has printed with a mirror image of the rusty bits. Magic!


2 comments:

  1. Wow these are brilliant, makes me want to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, yes! have a go. I'm going to make a little rusted fabric book and you'd make a lovely job of doing one of those x

      Delete