Saturday 13 September 2014

Hertfordshire Open Studios

It is time for Herts Open Studios again!  I love it!

I am exhibiting with 6 other artists at the Heritage Frogmore Paper Mill in Apsley.




It is a great chance to develop the experiments and doodles in my sketch books and make them into full sale artwork. It is also so lovely to meet so many people who are interested in art and textiles and share experiences and techniques. It is always a very happy couple of weeks.


This year I have been getting even more addicted to lace. After my Birthday visit to the lace exhibition at Waddesden Manor in May I have been looking more closely at the way the patterns in lace link together and the shadows and spaces in between.

This year's work for Open studios is 21st Century lace.

I have used my drawings and  doodles to make resists on very modern materials and dissolved away the backgrounds to make textiles with textures and shadows which change with the light of the day.



Below are close up photos of the panels. The lace patterns look more detailed in the shadows that they cast on the wall and actually needed to be mounted further away to get the full effect. The lace image on the bird panel is flowers.


              
And the lace pattern surrounding the Hare on this panel is grasses and foliage.


You can see the bird and flower motifs which are on the lace more clearly  on this silhouette painted with acrylic on black linen.


I have also got some of my Altered Books, Textile books and embroidered blankets on show in the cases to show people what we will be making on the upcoming classes. Of course the book is for sale there too.

I'd love to see you if you can visit. The exhibition is open from Saturday 13th till Wednesday 24th September from 11am -4pm. 

It is at Frogmore Paper Mill,  Fourdrinier Way,Apsley, Hemel Hempstead. HP3 9RY






No comments:

Post a Comment