Thursday 6 February 2014

Rain and Rust

Last Summer and Autumn I had a great time rusting fabric in the garden. I  tried out lots of different fabrics but my favourites were fine silk habotai, and vintage lace and doileys. 

It was always a surprise to see how much the fabric had dyed and the amazing patterns that were produced. Sometimes the rust ate right through the fine silk and made fabulous crusty holes.

In September I used some of the fabrics with handmade silk paper as a base for some of my original illustrations for Open Studios. 




After Open Studios was finished my butterfly of a mind moved onto other things and I completely forgot the last little rusty package... till today!

I went out in the pouring rain to rescue it and here is what I found.


So fabulous! 
The silk especially has amazing patterns. It is Eco dyeing, just using nature to make beauty all by herself. Its just a kind of magic! 
Happy day! :o)


1 comment:

  1. Truly wonderful....only a true artist would brave the weather for the sake of a rusty dyed piece of fabric!! Love it. Now I know where to come when I want to begin my Eco Dyeing - my Summer Project! Thanks for sharing your wonderful efforts Paula - love you x

    ReplyDelete